[Air-L] Accommodations in Copenhagen

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Thu Aug 21 19:33:17 PDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Charles Ess wrote:

> Jannie's helpful note reminds me -
> Roskilde is an easy, ca. 20 minute train ride from Copenhagen - and
> worth the visit for a number of reasons, including the cathedral,
> and a very nice park that you can walk through on the way to the
> Viking Ship Museum:
> <http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/page.asp?contentsection=3964B7C731974A1DA15F5741EA743FE9&zcs=

I second that. The walk is gorgeous and the museum is great. Might
want to check if there are any Viking re-enactment encampments (ya'
know, like Civil War encampments here in the states) there during or
adjacent to the conference time period in order to get the most bang
from your visit.

For those who like to see art in an idyllic setting, I'd highly
recommend the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, which is right along the
train line that runs north out of Copenhagen up to Kronborg Castle in
Helsingor (the site of Shakespeare's Hamlet).

For folks attending the conference with kids, Louisiana also has a
nice art room, but for a full day of entertainment I cannot recommend
Copenhagen's Experimentarium enough. Of course, there's always Tivoli,
too.

If you're in DK before or after the conference, Skagen is certainly
nice. Old Skagen is very quaint, there are a few special shops amidst
the more touristy ones, the harbor is beautful and there are a bunch
of good seafood restaurants. The one I liked the most, located on the
main harbor wharf was quite logically name Skagen Fiskerestaurant.
They have at least 8 home-distilled versions of akavit (Denmark's
national liquor), and I can vouch that at least two of them are quite
excellent. Just be prepared for lots of tourists, particularly when
most Danes go on holiday. That also means that staying right in town
is expensive. If you do go to Skagen, I strongly recommend trekking to
Skagen Grenen, the spit of sand that forms the absolute tip of
Jutland. The way the waters of the Kattegat and Skagerrak crash
against each other there right at the tip is something to behold (and
a good reason to be careful about wading in very far right at the tip--
something that is officially discouraged). A safer and easier place to
get into the water is the beach that stretches all along the North Sea
to the southwest of Skagen Grenen. To access that, just drive to the
end of one of the roads that feeds out onto it. Once there, you park
out on the beach itself. (If you zoom in on the satellite photos
available at Wikimapia.org you'll see a car here and there all along
the coast up toward Skagen Grenen.) Of course, its wise not to park
too close to the water, particularly if you don't know when its high
tide. Skiveren is probably the closest town to Skagen with a beach
access road, and there's also a big campground near the end of that
road for those who want to see Skagen, etc., more cheaply.

Svendborg, at the southern tip of Fyn, is also a great place to visit.
Its a beautiful town with great artisans. Take the channel ferry to
visit the scenic towns like Troense as well as Valdemars Castle. On
the way there, be sure to stop at Egeskov Castle, outside of
Kværndrup. Its a beautiful castle and surrounding gardens--said to be
the best example of a Renaissance castle in Europe. There are also
some fun attractions for kids on the estate, and they are removed
enough from the castle and gardens that they don't spoil things.

Geez do I wish I were going to the conference.

Cheers,
Christian Nelson