[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu Aug 21 04:42:31 PDT 2008

Stephanie:

I think that this could be a form of mixed methods research. Descriptive
data is being collected that is clearly measurable and observable. The
students who do not get Facebook pages could be interpreted as a control
group. At the very least it is a real time simulation exercise.

Having said that, I used to work for a few ad agencies and radio
stations before becoming a national producer and an adjunct professor
and we were taught to look at the data but to always keep in mind that
some people lie about their personal data. I noticed this trend when I
did my doctoral research and exhibit A of this is the current US
election where people have not been consistently telling the truth when
polled and the data has the media and some researchers perplexed. Data
mining is a huge culprit here. More people are being to realize that
"someone" or "some entity" is keeping tabs on them so human being the
emotional and rational creatures that we are have decided to disrupt
everything.

I said all that I have said to say there are ethical issues on both
sides now because of convergence technologies that previously did not
exist. I think that you have taken great care to avoid such a thing and
you are not profiting financially. The only question left is this: will
anyone be harmed? It is remotely foreseeable that the data mining of the
company may be impacted. My question would be is it ethical for them to
gather data on your students that will invariably be used for
advertising and potentially sold to others for profit. I think you may
actually be doing a critical service in exploring this phenomenon. I
know that you are a filmmaker like me and this would be a great web
documentary. At the end of the day I think you are fine ethically.

Dr. Chris A. Heidelberg
Loyola College
Adjunct Professor