[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Aug 21 06:53:59 PDT 2008

Hello,

I've also used Facebook in my class - we created a private group and hosted
our online reading discussions in the group.  I felt this turned out well -
participation was opt-in, no one was compelled - but I also worried about
the ethics of such an exercise, particularly the incursion of "school" into
a primarily social place.

The particular exercise you describe is slightly worrisome.  Particularly,
asking/compelling students to change their profile.  Due to the many, mixed
contexts of Facebook, such change could have significant implications for
the subject or their friend group.  And there's certainly a question of
whether the students would be comfortable with such self-experimentation to
begin.

The data collection, on the other hand, sounds like an interesting hands-on
research opportunity.  Perhaps instead of asking the students to change
their own profiles, you might think about creating a few dummy accounts of
different age/gender for pooled use by the class?

For my class this semester, we're moving our discussions out of Facebook
and into Ning.  In the end, I decided that moving school into the social
space created some issues, and a site like Ning could deliver the
affordances without all of the contextual issues.  We'll see how that
works.

Best,
Fred