[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Bruno Selun bselun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:36:49 PDT 2008

Oooh very interesting indeed! Especially for raising awareness of the
dangers with concepts of online privacy.

If you want to make it even more random and interesting, why not have some
characters of your own creation? You could make as many paper cards as you
have students, and write down a couple pieces of information on each card
(e.g. "32 year-old Chinese-American college graduate"; "21 year-old
lesbian"; "male primary school teacher earning $xx,xxx a year"...). They
draw a card at random, and have to make up whichever information isn't on
the card as they sign up on FB (having to come up with realistic profiles).
As a youngster (on FB), I'd be inspired by this exercise, and I know it
wouldn't affect my own profile.

Alternatively/additionally, some of the students could post wall items,
notes, links and so on, whilst some other could stay silent. You could then
compare the similar profile and see whether it's affected by the content?

Do tell us how it goes!

Bruno
Masters student
London, UK