[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom (Julie Cohen)

andrea baker bakera at ohiou.edu
Thu Aug 21 15:59:46 PDT 2008

Paul,
I wonder, did the students not mention Facebook as a place to do their
class assignments because they didn't want to disturb their "real
life" social networks?  Would you ask them about how they happened to
leave it out of the options?  I'd like to know more.

Thanks,
andee

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paul Jones <pjones at metalab.unc.edu>

I support Fred and Trel in saying that you need not and should not subvert
policies especially since you can move to another fairly easily. As
OpenSocial (okay IF then if you like), takes off this will be even easier.

On FB vs Ning. I had the students in our seminar vote on how and where to
do assignments. They asked me for options at first so I supplied 3 but
encouraged them to introduce others. My suggested options included:
posting to delicious, oral book reports, and adding questions for class on
a wiki. Someone suggested using Ning and I showed a site to the class. In
the voting, still underway on Doodle, everyone has voted for using Ning.

Facebook? It wasn't even mentioned. (I found that particularly interesting
as I asked who of the class was on FB and everyone -- save a visiting
Korean scholar -- raised their hands.)