[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Sarita Yardi sarita.yardi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:12:50 PDT 2008

++

An alternative that may meet your pedagogical goals and be a better
fit for those who aren't on FB, don't want to alter their profile
pages, or doesn't require violating FB's TOS is to use the ad creating
page, where you can enter an arbitrary page and look at demographics
by age, location, and networks and see how many people you will reach.
It could be interesting to compare those statistics to the actual ads
that students see and try to understand advertisers motivations for
targeting certain ads towards certain demographics.

http://www.new.facebook.com/ads/create/

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Paul Jones <pjones at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> I support Fred and Trel in saying that you need not and should not subvert
> policies especially since you can move to another fairly easily. As
> OpenSocial (okay IF then if you like), takes off this will be even easier.
>
> On FB vs Ning. I had the students in our seminar vote on how and where to
> do assignments. They asked me for options at first so I supplied 3 but
> encouraged them to introduce others. My suggested options included:
> posting to delicious, oral book reports, and adding questions for class on
> a wiki. Someone suggested using Ning and I showed a site to the class. In
> the voting, still underway on Doodle, everyone has voted for using Ning.
>
> Facebook? It wasn't even mentioned. (I found that particularly interesting
> as I asked who of the class was on FB and everyone -- save a visiting
> Korean scholar -- raised their hands.)

Human-Centered Computing
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
www.cc.gatech.edu/~yardi