[Air-L] Social Networking and Youth

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Aug 30 11:59:53 PDT 2008

You and AIR may also be interested in Social Networking: A Quantitative And Qualitative Research Report Into Attitudes, Behaviours And Use that I blogged on my _Friends_ blog:
[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/ <https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/>  ] earlier this week ....

"Nearly half of all children who have access to the internet have their own personal profile on a social networking site, according to extensive qualitative and quantitative Ofcom research published today [April 02 2008].

The report reveals just how quickly social networking sites have become a part of Britons' lives. As well as widespread use amongst 8-17 year olds (49 per cent of internet users in that age group), the report also reveals that over a fifth (22 per cent) of adult internet users aged 16+ have their own online profile. The research finds that it is common for adults to have a profile on more than one site (the average being 1.6) and half of current adult social networkers say that they access their profiles at least every other day.

<https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1yC8pclUjHU/SLBrHwuu_dI/AAAAAAAACPA/syiRG5PZ5Jc/s1600-h/ofCOM-2.jpg> The research also shows how social networking sites are stretching the traditional meaning of 'friends'. Some users say that they derive enjoyment from 'collecting' lists of people with whom they have an online connection but often have never met."

[ http://tinyurl.com/6dbf2v <https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/6dbf2v>   ]

Enjoy !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 <https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490>   ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ <https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://exchange.iastate.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/>   ]