[Air-L] First International Symposium on Digital Diasporas

Alejandro Blanco Peña alejoblancop at yahoo.es
Mon Aug 11 08:24:32 PDT 2008

Hi
everyone, I write for telling that the next 21 and 22 august we will have the “First
International Symposium on Digital Diasporas” at Bogotá, Colombia.
All the information can be finding on: http://www.redescolombia.org/Simposio/IndexIngles.html

DESCRIPTION

We are living an historic moment in which the basic organization of relations
in society has been enormously impacted by the possibility, for the first time
in history, of establishing real-time communications across the world.

In this context, the circumstances of interaction, particularly those generated
by Internet, have allowed “digital diasporas” to mushroom, as cyberspace
configurations for social groups of people who are geographically scattered but
sharing some common national background.

This makes it relevant to create an opportunity for reflection on the subject,
approaching the construction of distance networks and communities, their
relationships with the place of origin and impact on that place. This implies
reflection on relations which transnational social networks have with ideas of
culture, identity and development.

Saludos cordiales,
Alejandro Blanco