[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu Aug 21 09:17:04 PDT 2008

Terrell:

Trust me I know all about those terms which most students routinely work
around by giving parts of their names. That is part of the reason that I
use Ning because you can set up a company name or an individual name.
Those terms of use are primarily there to protect Facebook and
advertisers from spamming,cyber-bulling, porn and more. I am not
suggesting that no one break their conditions I am suggesting that
students protect their identities by not providing their entire
identities online for large companies that data mine and will sell,
rent, lease or strategically ally )with others to get around this) your
identity aware. If Facebook could get rid of all of the pseudo accounts
their herd would look significantly thinner which is why there is
selective enforcement for the real bad actors.

Chris