[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:11:04 PDT 2008

I support Fred and Trel in saying that you need not and should not subvert
policies especially since you can move to another fairly easily. As
OpenSocial (okay IF then if you like), takes off this will be even easier.

On FB vs Ning. I had the students in our seminar vote on how and where to
do assignments. They asked me for options at first so I supplied 3 but
encouraged them to introduce others. My suggested options included:
posting to delicious, oral book reports, and adding questions for class on
a wiki. Someone suggested using Ning and I showed a site to the class. In
the voting, still underway on Doodle, everyone has voted for using Ning.

Facebook? It wasn't even mentioned. (I found that particularly interesting
as I asked who of the class was on FB and everyone -- save a visiting
Korean scholar -- raised their hands.)

                             Paul Jones
 "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
  pjones at ibiblio.org   NEW voice: (919) 360-7740     fax: (919) 962-8071