[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Nicole Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:24:31 PDT 2008

I've also been interested in exploring Facebook as a teaching tool. I
recently wrote the introduction to the ECAR (EDUCAUSE Center for
Applied Research) annual student survey, which surveys thousands of
students at institutions across the US. The focus this year was SNSs.
The results of the ECAR survey echoed trends we've identified here at
MSU: many students are already using Facebook to support their
learning, outside of instructor-structured activities. Here's a quote
from the intro:

In April, 2008 we asked a random sample of MSU undergraduates about
educational uses of Facebook – specifically whether students had
engaged in various behaviors in the six months prior to the survey
(note that 96% of our respondents reported being a member of
Facebook). Although only 10% of the MSU respondents said they used
Facebook as part of an assigned class exercise, about half used
Facebook to arrange a study group or meeting, more than half had used
it to discuss classes or schoolwork and about one-third reported using
Facebook to “collaborate on an assignment in a way that your
instructor would like.” Most of our respondents (69%) had used
Facebook to contact another student with a question related to class
or schoolwork.

I think these examples of peer-to-peer support are also useful to
consider as we explore educational uses of Facebook and other SNSs.

Nicole

  * * *
Nicole Ellison, PhD
nellison at msu.edu