[Air-L] Online Research Methods Texts

Koen Leurs Koen.Leurs at let.uu.nl
Thu Aug 28 00:55:02 PDT 2008

Dear Alecea,

I'm interested in the final list when you have put it together. Works
I can think of at the moment are (both how-to-do books as well as
illustrative actual research work:)

Burkhalter, B. (1999). Reading race online: discovering racial
identity in Usenet discussions. Communities in cyberspace. P. Kollock
and M. A. Smith. London / New York, Routledge.
Hine, C. (2000). Virtual Ethnography. London, Sage Publications.
Hine, C. (2005). Virtual Methods and the Sociology of Cyber-Social-
Scientific Knowledge. Virtual Methods: Issues in Social Research on
the Internet. C. Hine. Oxford, Berg.
Landow, G. P. (2006). Hypertext 3.0. Critical theory and new meda in
an era of globalization. Baltimore, John hopkins University Press.
Leung, L. (2005). Virtual ethnicity: race, resistance and the World
Wide Web. Hants / Burlington, Ashgate Publishing Limited.
Livingstone, S. (2008). "Taking risky opportunities in youthful
content creation: teenagers' use of social networking sites for
intimacy, privacy and self-expression." New media & society 10(3):
393-411.
Mackay, H. (2005). New Connections, Familiar Settings: Issues in the
Ethnographic Study of New Media Use at Home. Virtual Methods: Issues
in Social Research on the Internet. C. Hine. Oxford, Berg.
Nakamura, L. (2002). Cybertypes. Race, ethnicity and identity on the
internet. New York
London, Routledge.
Nakamura, L. (2008). Digitizing Race. Visual Cultures of the Internet.
Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press.

Hope this is helpful,

Kind regards,

Koen Leurs | Aio / PhD student OGC (Research Institute for Culture and
History)|
Utrecht University, the Netherlands | Janskerkhof 13, 3512 BL Utrecht
| # 2.02 | (+31) 30 253 78 59 | (+31) 6 13108803 |

http://www.uu.nl/wiredup/

Op Aug 27, 2008, om 11:40 PM heeft Alecea Standlee het volgende
geschreven: