[Air-L] Online Research Methods Texts

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 28 07:05:27 PDT 2008

post it to wiki.aoir.org
On Aug 28, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Ash wrote:

> Is there any way that someone could post the list as a web page that
> could be added to over time with an RSS feed to keep us all updated?
>
> On Aug 28, 2008, at 9:15 AM, Pam Brewer <brewerpe at appstate.edu> wrote:
>
>> Alecea--
>>
>> The following are some resources I found useful in my research.  A
>> few of them don't target research in cyberspace specifically, but
>> are still very useful as the concepts can be translated (Spinuzzi)
>> for online research:
>>
>> Creswell, J. W., & Plano Clark, V. L. (2007). Designing and
>> Conducting Mixed Methods Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
>> Publications.
>>
>> Creswell, J. W. (1998). Qualitative inquiry and research design:
>> Choosing among five traditions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
>>
>> Maczewski, M., Storey, M.-A., & Hoskins, M. (2004). Conducting
>> congruent, ethical, qualitative research in Internet-mediated
>> research environments. In E. A. Buchanan (Ed.), Readings in virtual
>> research ethics:  Issues and controversies (pp. 62-79). Hershey,
>> PA: Information Science Publishing.
>>
>> Mann, C., & Stewart, F. (2000). Internet communication and
>> qualitative research.  A handbook for researching online. Thousand
>> Oaks, CA: Sage.
>>
>> Turney, L., & Pocknee, C. (2005). Virtual focus groups:  New
>> frontiers in research. International Journal of Qualitative
>> Methods, 4(2).
>>
>> Yin, R. K. (2003). Case study research:  Design and methods (3rd
>> ed. Vol. 5). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
>>
>> Pamela Estes Brewer
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of English
>> Appalachian State University
>> phone 828-262-2351
>> fax  828-262-2133
>> email  brewerpe at appstate.edu
>>

>> Alecea Standlee wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>> I am in the process of putting together a list of books and
>>> articles to be used as a resource for students interested in
>>> studying self-representation and community building in cyberspace
>>> using qualitative methods. I have a list of some work but I would
>>> love r any suggestions or recommendations from all of you. I would
>>> also be willing to share the final list with any interested
>>> parties. Any suggestions?
>>> Alecea Standlee
>>> Syracuse University
>>> Department of Sociology

>>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
>>> http://www.aoir.org/

>> http://www.aoir.org/

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu
)

Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.
--Byron