[Air-L] Formality and importance of various communication media

Gordon Carlson gordycarlson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:23:10 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I am working on a project and would like to gauge how users of mainstream
communication media rank or balance the formality of various tools.  For
example, I would like to know whether people think an email or letter is
more formal.  Or another way, would you call your boss or meet face to
face?  These types of questions, in a very broad sense, are what I want to
investigate.

I plan to eventually launch a study but need to find some background/prior
research.  Do you know of any previous studies like this or any writing on
the subject?  I think I have plenty of theoretical material, I am looking
more for studies, data, and methods.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks a bunch.

-Gordon Carlson
-University of Illinois at Chicago