[Air-L] warrantless laptop searches at US borders

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Aug 2 08:47:06 PDT 2008

 From what I understand in a recent post on the IP list by Wired's
Declan McCullagh, this policy also embraces searches for "copyright
enforcement" -- which opens up a whole new can of worms.  Imagine if
you have an iPod or loaded iTunes on your laptop.  Do you need to
prove you've paid for the bulk of your music or movies?  What if you
rip a few DVDs for the trip?  Do we have to carry the original disc to
prove we "own" (er, "licensed") the product?  Doesn't that kind of
defeat the purpose?

Further, as I read things, if you take your laptop, phone, or iPod and
put it in a sealed First Class envelope, they can't search it without
probable cause.  So it seems like this policy has a built-in
circumvention clause of sorts. Brilliant.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with Alex' comments - my recently-rebuilt
Powerbook is bare-bones, and rather sterile.  Am i being paranoid?
Perhaps.  Does it mean more work for me when on the road
internationally? Probably. Here again, I join other security
professionals in voicing (or practicing) our intolerance of and
protesting against poorly-conceived and horribly implimented policies
enacted by the USG (or UK, et..al) in the name of "homeland security"
that do more to inconvenience the innocent than catch the
criminal.     As I said back in 2003, in the post-9/11 New Normal
(tm), we are all presumed guilty until proven guiltier -- often
without knowing what standards are being applied in making such
determinations.   In a supposed democratic society like the United
States that cherishes notions like checks-and-balances and an informed
citizenry, the social and cultural effects of this recent phenomenon
(2001-) I presume are clear to all.   (end mini-rant)

See also:  Peter Swire: No, You Can't Search My Laptop
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/06/laptop_testimony.html

Cheers

- rick
infowarrior.org