[Air-L] Accommodations in Copenhagen

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 06:38:04 PDT 2008

Jannie's helpful note reminds me -
Roskilde is an easy, ca. 20 minute train ride from Copenhagen - and worth
the visit for a number of reasons, including the cathedral, and a very nice
park that you can walk through on the way to the Viking Ship Museum:
<http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/page.asp?contentsection=3964B7C731974A1DA15F57
41EA743FE9&zcs=>

For those of us interested in communication, culture, and technology - I
cannot recommend a visit to the Museum strongly enough.  In addition to the
impressive display of five 11th-century ships recovered in 1962, there are a
number of exhibits that provide interesting, sometimes staggering, insight
into, e.g. ship-building technologies (these were the starships of the day,
for a host of interesting reasons - including the use of some techniques
subsequently lost in the late middle ages and only recovered via the efforts
to reconstruct these ships), important and highly influential cultural
interactions made possible by these technologies (beyond the stereotype of
raiding, etc.), aesthetics, etc., etc.

Of course, I don't mean to put temptation to skip any of the IR 9.0
conference in anybody's way - so I hope conference participants will be able
to take a day or two on either side of the conference to enjoy not only
Copenhagen, but also Roskilde, Aarhus (for those going to the workshop on
Internet histories), Skagen and any number of other splendid places in our
host country ...

on those happy thoughts,
cheers,
- c.