[Air-L] (some of) Charlie's favorite places in Denmark ...

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 18:16:26 PDT 2008

That's wonderful Charles.

I've order a Scandinavia card for my GPS so will bravely venture to the
most isolated tip...

Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby
Film, Media and Cultural Studies
Teaching and Learning Convenor
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604

>>> Charles Ess <charles.ess at gmail.com> 8/21/2008 11:10 AM >>>
Oh Marj! lucky you!

Some quick thoughts -
Were I thee ... pick up the Rough Guide to Denmark; it's great for
details
and planning.
When you land in Copenhagen, go to the information desk to your left
after
you get out of the customs walk-through; they'll give you a city map
with a
suggested walking tour - but more useful for bus and metro lines.

You can get to lots of wonderful places by train - but car is better
for
more isolated spots; we've had excellent experience with Europcar -
less
expensive than others but still first-rate.
You can craft a kind of viking tour going north from Aarhus to Skagen,
if
that's your cup of tea.
Skagen is the northernmost tip of Denmark, marked by a long sandspit
that
goes into the waters where two seas meet.  Walking out on the sandspit
into
the ocean is a remarkable experience.  Skagen is a bit touristy, but
for
good reason - site of an important artists' colony in the 19th century,
the
museum is a great place to see some wonderful pieces by some of the
most
beloved painters, including Anna Ancher, Vilhelm Hammershøi, P.S.
Krøyer,
L.A. Ring and others.
(If anyone is thinking of going to Skagen, mail me off-list for a
recommendation of a lovely hotel there. Of course, our Danish hosts
will
have far more experience and recommendations to make, but I'm happy to
make
a start.)
(P.S. Krøyer's "Sommeraften ved Skagens strand / Summer evening at the
beach
at Skagen," 1899, is particularly spell-binding and famous - but you'll
have
to go to the Hirschsprung Collection / Den Hirschsprunkske Smaling in
Copenhagen, to see it.  If you're an art lover, this is a must.
As well, the Hirschsprung museum is right behind the Staatens Museum
for
Kunst (State Art Museum), which is also a remarkable place.  If you're
in
downtown Copenhagen, you can either take a bus in that direction, or
simply
walk through the gardens of the Rosenborg Castle to get there - lovely
when
the weather's good.)
Philosophers and those interested in science may want to pay homage at
Kierkeaard's family grave and that of Niels Bohr in the Assistens
Kirkegaard
in Nørrebro.

Continuing your car trip - see if you can get to the little island of
Fyr,
and drive up to the stone age burial mounds (ca. 6,000 B.C.E). You can
walk
up to and on top of the mounds, which offer a panoramic view of the
land,
sea, and sky - it is immediately clear why someone would want to be
buried
there.
There are also geological formations there that record the volcanic
eruptions accompanying the birth of the North Atlantic, as the land
masses
started to split ca. 55 million years ago (give or take - remember I
have a
poor memory).
And then from there head down the West Coast.  Wonderfully rugged, lots
of
lighthouses - including (at least) one halfway covered up by sand - and
WW
II bunkers, which are sometimes quite chilling.

Lots and lots more - including some recommendations for good / cheap
eating
in Copenhagen (now _that's a trick ...) - but I'm hoping that we can
cooperatively develop a list of these for the website as we get closer
the conference.

Sorry for the bubbling enthusiasm ... I guess I'm what Lisbeth nicely
calls
an aficionado ...
best to all as we make our plans ...
- c.