[Air-L] Online Research Methods Texts

André Brock andre.brock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:35:48 PDT 2008

I find this book to be immensely helpful:

Jones, Steven, ed. (1998) Doing Internet research:  Critical Issues and
Methods for Examining the Net.

Because you also asked about self-presentation, here's some stuff that
hasn't been mentioned yet:

Miller, D. and Slater, D. (2001) The Internet:  an ethnographic approach.

Kvasny, L. and Igwe, C. F. (2007) An African-American weblog community's
reading of AIDS in Black America

Gajjala, R. (2004) Cyber Selves:  Feminist Ethnographies of South Asian
Women

Gajjala, R. and Gajjala, V. (2008) South Asian Technospaces (Digital
Formations)

McGahan, C (2007) Race-ing Cyberculture:  Minoritarian Art and Cultural
Politics on the Internet.

**self promotion** My dissertation is on African American online identity
following Hurricane Katrina.   I've also got an AOIR paper on the early
Katrina research and some other stuff in the pipeline.   Hit me up offlist
if this stuff is of interest.

André