[Air-L] question about use of Facebook in classroom

Steve Cavrak Steve.Cavrak at Uvm.Edu
Thu Aug 21 08:52:55 PDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Stephanie Tuszynski wrote:

> But still, I wanted to run this concept by the people who deal with
> these kinds of exercises and have spent more time thinking about the
> ethics of this kind of thing than I or any of my colleagues. Does
> this sound acceptable, from an ethical standpoint?

I like the concept, but the comments have suggested that maybe
modifying live facebook pages isn't reliable or a good idea ... so I
began wondering about different ways of exploring this phenomenon.

- using just google, have students do some standard searches and
record which ads appear. do they seem targeted? to the student? to the
geographic area? to the search? to different types of google users
(e.g. people who use gmail and or igoogle might be different than the
people  who surf "anonymously."

- turn it into a mini-ethnographic survey. Each student would ask 2 or
3 of their friends to describe their experiences and perceptions with
targeted ads, etc. Do they feel they are being targeted ? Do they feel
that the "net knows" something about them? Is facebook different than
myspace, etc ?

In both of these, there would have to be some discussion about how to
do this type of research, and what can reasonably be expected from it.

Moreover, we're studying a moving beast. "Targeting" and "profiling"
algorithms are changing rapidly - this fall's facebook will be
different than next spring's, etc.

Steve