[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 49, Issue 22

Terrell Russell terrellrussell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:14:45 PDT 2008

Bruno Selun wrote:

> I know it's a simplistic POV, but if you can't subvert TOS, established
> policies and assumptions in an educational context for an educational
> purpose, then where can you?
>
> Isn't it also at college people should be taught to be wary of Big Brother?

Yes - definitely it's the time and place to promote discussion and
discourse about established policies and assumptions.

That said, we should strongly consider that requiring students to break
a TOS crosses a line that should be reserved for people doing it
themselves with grounded knowledge and free will.

The power of the lectern should not be used to require subversion on the
part of the student.  The students should have the option to investigate
these questions themselves.  And they should be encouraged to do so.

I do not see these two things in opposition.

Terrell
PhD Student
SILS at UNC-CH