[Air-L] CFP--Information Overload: An International Challenge to Professional Communication Practices

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:05:51 PST 2008

Dear Colleagues--

I am forwarding on this CFP which might be of interest to some.

Best,
Pam

We would like to invite you to submit a proposal for a chapter in an upcoming book entitled, "Information Overload:  An International Challenge to Professional Communication Practices." As you know, information overload in all its forms has become a major issue for all practicing professionals, but little has been formally studied about its effects on efficiency, effectiveness, and hence, the bottom line.

We hope to explore the following topics in this book:
• What is information overload? What are some causes of information overload?
• What effects do content and/or media selection have on information overload?
• What effects do the prevalent mobile technologies have on information overload?
• How can we measure the costs of information overload?
• Is there a difference in levels of information overload among various regions or countries, for example, between Europe and the United States?
• What are the effects of information overload in specific industries?
• What are the effects of information overload on end users or consumers of information?
• What are some knowledge management techniques that could be used to effectively deal with information overload?
• What are some ways of reducing or controlling information overload?

Prospective authors are invited to submit chapter proposals of about 1000 words on or before January 30, 2009. In their proposals, prospective authors should clearly explain the purpose and contents of their proposed chapter and how the chapter would fit into the overall text. Authors will be notified of the status of their proposal and sent chapter organization guidelines by May 29, 2009. Drafts of chapters will be due on October 1, 2009.

Additional details are given in the attached Call for Chapter Proposals. Please circulate this announcement via the AOIR listserv and share it with other colleagues who you believe could make a solid contribution to a text such as this.

We hope you will be able to submit a chapter proposal and look forward to reading it. If you have any questions on this book or on the related review process, please feel free to contact us at zfazal at fit.edu.

Regards,

Judith B. Strother, Florida Institute of Technology, U.S.
Zohra Fazal, Florida Institute of Technology, U.S.
Jan M. Ulijn, Technical University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands

--
Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
email  brewerpe at appstate.edu