[Air-L] Social Presence Theory - latest studies?

James Watt wattj at rpi.edu
Mon Dec 8 09:37:34 PST 2008

You might look at:

Kang, S., Watt, J.H., Ala, S.K. (2008) Social copresence in anonymous
social interactions using a mobile video telephone. Proceedings of
CHI 2008. New York: ACM Press.

This article is a summary of Sinhwa Kang's dissertation. It contains
a good literature review on presence, social presence, and social
copresence that might be useful, as well as the results of a very
nice experiment that investigates the impact of behavioral realism
and iconicity of avatars on social copresence, when they are
presented on a simulated video mobile phone display.

At 06:00 PM 12/7/2008, you wrote:

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I am starting a literature review on social presence (esp. in
>relation to new communication technologies, such as cell phones, text
>messaging, chat programs, etc.). Hence, I am trying to find good
>academic texts that present the history of research on this topic,
>current trends, and suggestions for future research. Does anyone know
>some good texts with which I can start?
>
>Please feel free to contact me if you have any interesting suggestions.
>
>Thank you,
>jennie
>

>jennie hwang, phd
>assistant professor, communication studies
>cal poly, san luis obispo
>805/756-2289

James H. Watt
Professor of Communication