[Air-L] Benkler, Bandwidth, and the State of the Internet in Japan

SUGIMOTO Taku sugimoto.taku at it-chiba.ac.jp
Thu Dec 4 18:44:48 PST 2008

Andy,

Japanese Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and
Telecommunications publishes White Paper "Information and
Communications in Japan" every year.  The most recent one is of 2007.
You can download the English version at
http://www.johotsusintokei.soumu.go.jp/whitepaper/eng/WP2007/2007-index.html

You may especially be interested in Chapter 1-3 "ICT and Life and
Society" where you can find some detailed stats on Internet use in
Japan.

One thing you perhaps need to keep in mind in considering this issue
is the widespread use among Japanese people of cellular phones with
Internet capabilities.  It might be possible that cellular phones have
much bigger impacts than broadband infrastructure.

Good luck,

Taku