[Air-L] There's an article on me in Wikipedia!

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Mon Dec 8 09:01:48 PST 2008

Alex -

Your experience on Wikipedia was unfortunate, but you should be aware
of some of its policies & guidelines regarding creating articles about
people, especially oneself:

* General notability guideline for biographies: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BIO

* Guideline strongly discouraging writing an article about oneself: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AUTO

A good place to start is <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:YFA>

Also, I'm not sure who you encountered while editing, but describing
Wikipedia editors or administrators as "wiki police" isn't quite fair.
By its very definition, (nearly) all Wikipedia users are welcome and
able to monitor and edit articles, tag them if there are concerns,
etc. Administrators (who are selected by the community itself) have
extra privileges allowing the deleting of articles and blocking users,
under strict guidelines.

The help pages provide good guidance, if you want to explore further: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents
 >  I'm sure Wikipedia could benefit from your participation in the
project.

Regards,
Michael Zimmer

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org