[Air-L] Social Presence Theory - latest studies?

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Mon Dec 8 07:00:18 PST 2008

I am very interested in this thread but also find the subject a bit befuddling.  Aren't almost all interpretive social theories of the 20th century (symbolic interactionism, phenomenology, , ethnomethdology, etc.) theories of social presence? There have been volumes upon volumes of work rooted in these traditions dealing with cmc sociality and identity. Or is the subject here a new and coherently distinctive kind of social theory that is specific to virtual environments?

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Associate Professor
Department of Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
CANADA
519 884-1970 x3693
>>> Pam Brewer <brewerpe at appstate.edu> 12/08/08 9:05 AM >>>
Jennie--

Here are a few of the sources I have found useful in my research on
international virtual workplaces.  Each addresses social presence theory
in some aspect.  Some of these are a bit dated but significant (e.g.,
Ma).  I included Walther though you have probably already pulled his
resources.

Best,
Pam

Cho, H.-K., Treir, M., & Kim, E. (2005). The use of instant messaging in
working relationship development:  A case study [Electronic Version].
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10, from
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue4/cho.html

Ma, R. (1996). Computer-mediated conversations as a new dimension of
intercultural communication between East Asian and North American
college students. In S. C. Herring (Ed.), Computer-Mediated
Communication:  Linguistic, Social and Cross-Cultural Perspectives (pp.
173-185). Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Nowak, K. L., Watt, J., Walther, J. B., & (2005). The influence of
synchrony and sensory modality on the person perception process in
computer-mediated groups [Electronic Version]. Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication, 10, 28. Retrieved July 11, 2006, from
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue3/nowak.html

Priest, H. A., Stagl, K. C., Klein, C., & Salas, E. (2006). Virtual
teams:  Creating context for distributed work. In C. A. Bowers, S. E &
F. Jentsch (Eds.), Creating High-Tech Teams (pp. 185-212). Washington
D.C.: American Psychological Association.

Thompson, L. F., & Coovert, M. D. (2006). Understanding and developing
virtual computer-supported teams. In C. Bowers, E. Salas & F. Jentsch
(Eds.), Creating high-tech teams (pp. 213-241). Washington D.C: American
Psychological Association.

Utz, S. (2000). Social information processing in MUDs:The development of
friendships in virtual worlds [Electronic Version]. Journal of Online
Behavior, 1, 25. Retrieved March 10, 2006, from
http://www.behavior.net/JOB/v1n1/utz.html

Walther, J. B. (1996). Computer-mediated communication:  Impersonal,
interpersonal and hyperpersonal interaction. Communication Research,
23(3), 3-43.

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Department of English