[Air-L] Social Presence Theory - latest studies?

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Tue Dec 9 06:16:41 PST 2008

Andrew--

I welcome comments on the following views as I have not made a study of
social presence as many have.  I view such concepts as symbolic
interactionism, phenomenology, and ethnomethdology (as you outline them)
more as theories and methods of social construction than social
presence. I do see how symbolic interactionism (via Blumer) supports an
effective presence.  When I consider social presence in the virtual
workplace, I think of Walther and his social information processing
theory (SIP) as well as media richness. Walther says that when enough
time is allowed, CMC, which is slower than face-to-face communication,
displays the same potential for interpersonal communication
affordances.  In other words, though it takes time, people are able to
adapt their communication to the online space in such a way that the
online space offers an equal potential for interpersonal communication.
They often use multiple media to achieve effective presence with this
potential.

Best,
Pam

Pamela Estes Brewer