[Air-L] request for studies concerning Senior's use of the net and Happy New Year

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 31 20:36:27 PST 2008

happy new year, now or when you celebrate this.

I am not asking you to do my work and hopefully this is sharing that
will help others.

I am trying to find studies concerning senior's use of the Internet.
I am doing this for my new job in the information society statistics
section of Statistics Canada.

I have read a lot about e-inclusion and so forth but am really
looking for the opposite about seniors.

One, in terms predicting who uses the net, age is inversely related.
The older you are the less likely you are to surf the net. Of course
this generation gap may be closing. Has anyone found it closed?

I am interested in any studies using logistic regression models
predicting Internet use/access or even better a more refined
definition of use with age as one predictor variable.

My employer has published a number of studies like this.

Also we know now that use/access of the net is not where it stops, so
I am interested in other studies looking at broadening this idea of
access or use as long as these involve seniors and preferably are
statistical studies. I would like to look for comparable studies in
term of hours on line, or intensity of use, or activities online.

Somethings that look possible are "More seniors use pharmacies online
than other age groups" but is there anything else out there. Lots of
game playing?

Some seniors it was found in the past spent long hours online and the
explanation suggested was that they had free time.

We want to learn more about these seniors who use the net a lot.

Or can you simply suggest alternative keywords for "intensity of
internet use" so I can better search journals and google scholar.