[Air-L] Undergrad panel for IR 10.0

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Sat Dec 20 15:02:49 PST 2008

A few weeks ago I posted a note indicating that I would attempt to
organize an undergraduate panel for IR 10.0 in Milwaukee. I've got three
papers so far, and have space for a few more. In order to make the IR
10.0 submission deadline, I'll need to have them no later than Jan. 26.

Once again, this is *NOT* a paper competition (see the Couch Award call
at www.cccsir.org if you’re interested in that), and I don’t have time
to read and "judge" hundreds of undergraduate papers. But I’m willing to
put something together IF I can get a little help from all of you in
this way:

As you are grading papers at this end of the semester, if you come
across an undergraduate’s paper that...

1. Is truly an EXCEPTIONAL paper dealing with QUALITY internet research
(you be the judge), and
2. It is likely that your institution would fund the student next fall
to get to Milwaukee to present it, and
3. The student is a traditional, 18 to 20-something undergrad -- OR, if
a non-traditional student, an undergrad who might be in a position to go
on to grad school with this sort of encouragement...

...then talk to the student about it, and if s/he is willing, send me
their paper electronically. CLEARLY mark the message as an UNDERGRAD
PANEL SUBMISSION.

NO GUARANTEES! The panel will be submitted to be considered and accepted
(or not) through the regular IR 10.0 vetting process. There’s probably
room for about 6 or 8 papers max (I assume undergrad papers are short),
and if I receive more than about a dozen I’ll probably throw up my hands
and forget the whole thing.

But if there are really, really OUTSTANDING undergrad papers in that
stack that you are grading, see if the student is interested and if your
school will pick up the tab to send them if accepted. If so, send the
paper to me by Jan. 26 and we'll see what happens.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the