[Air-L] Social Presence Theory - latest studies?

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Mon Dec 8 05:54:59 PST 2008

Jennie--

Here are a few of the sources I have found useful in my research on
international virtual workplaces.  Each addresses social presence theory
in some aspect.  Some of these are a bit dated but significant (e.g.,
Ma).  I included Walther though you have probably already pulled his
resources.

Best,
Pam

Cho, H.-K., Treir, M., & Kim, E. (2005). The use of instant messaging in
working relationship development:  A case study [Electronic Version].
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10, from
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue4/cho.html

Ma, R. (1996). Computer-mediated conversations as a new dimension of
intercultural communication between East Asian and North American
college students. In S. C. Herring (Ed.), Computer-Mediated
Communication:  Linguistic, Social and Cross-Cultural Perspectives (pp.
173-185). Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Nowak, K. L., Watt, J., Walther, J. B., & (2005). The influence of
synchrony and sensory modality on the person perception process in
computer-mediated groups [Electronic Version]. Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication, 10, 28. Retrieved July 11, 2006, from
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue3/nowak.html

Priest, H. A., Stagl, K. C., Klein, C., & Salas, E. (2006). Virtual
teams:  Creating context for distributed work. In C. A. Bowers, S. E &
F. Jentsch (Eds.), Creating High-Tech Teams (pp. 185-212). Washington
D.C.: American Psychological Association.

Thompson, L. F., & Coovert, M. D. (2006). Understanding and developing
virtual computer-supported teams. In C. Bowers, E. Salas & F. Jentsch
(Eds.), Creating high-tech teams (pp. 213-241). Washington D.C: American
Psychological Association.

Utz, S. (2000). Social information processing in MUDs:The development of
friendships in virtual worlds [Electronic Version]. Journal of Online
Behavior, 1, 25. Retrieved March 10, 2006, from
http://www.behavior.net/JOB/v1n1/utz.html

Walther, J. B. (1996). Computer-mediated communication:  Impersonal,
interpersonal and hyperpersonal interaction. Communication Research,
23(3), 3-43.

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Department of English