[Air-L] Social Presence Theory - latest studies?

KMV cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:28:22 PST 2008

Jennie,

A couple of good general discussions are:

Marshall, Jonathan. "The Online Body Breaks Out? Asence, Ghosts,
Cyborgs, Gender, Polarity and Politics." Fibreculture Issue 3, 2004.
http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue3/issue3_marshall.html

Zhao, Shanyang & Elesh, D. "Copresence as 'Being With': Social Contact
in Online Public Domains." Information, Communication & Society, V.
11, No. 4 June 2008, pp 565-583.

These aren't focused on particular technologies so much, but more
generally on the emotional challenges of online sociality.

Also, this book came out last year and is quite good, has another
piece by Marshall in it:

Remote Relationships in a Small World
Holland, Samantha (ed.)
New York: Peter Lang (2008)

How do people have relationships when they are apart, or develop them
when they've never even met? From MySpace and weblogs to romance and
sexuality, this book draws together a range of studies on <remote
relationships>, investigating the intricate, intimate ways that people
forge connections online. The term 'remote' refers to the technologies
that facilitate forms of communication, and also underlines the lack of
physicality involved in these relationships, developed at a distance.
Using empirical data, these collected essays explore a wide variety of
relationships, examining the methodological and ethical issues that
researchers face. Remote Relationships in a Small World, part of a new
generation of online studies, responds to the need for research that
focuses on social relationships.

Contents

Jayne Armstrong: Researching DIY Grrrl (E)Zine Culture: A
Methodological and Ethical Account -
Andrea J. Baker/Monica T. Whitty: Researching Romance and Sexuality
Online: Issues for New and Current Researchers -
Janet Finlay/Lynette Willoughby: Exploring Online Learning
Relationships: A Case Study in Higher Education -
Simeon J. Yates/Eleanor Lockley: Moments of Separation: Gender, (Not
So Remote) Relationships, and the Cell Phone -
Natilene Bowker: Participating in the World (Wide Web): Social
Connections for People with Disabilities -
Samantha Holland/Julie Harpin: <It's Only MySpace>: Teenagers and
Social Networking Online -
Lilia Efimova/Andrea Ben Lassoued: On How Relationships Develop via
Weblogs: A Co-constructed Narrative -
Naomi Rosh White/Peter B. White: Remote Relationships as Theatre:
Travellers and Group E-mails -
Rhiannon Bury: Remotely Embodied Friendships in Female Fan Communities -
Jonathan Paul Marshall: Cybermind: Paradoxes of Gender and
Relationship in an Online Group -
David Jacobson: <Two Levels of Personal>: The Cultural Context of
Intimacy in Instant Messaging -
Dennis D. Waskul/Phillip Vannini: Ludic and Ludic(rous) Relationships:
Sex, Play, and the Internet - Sarah Earle/Keith Sharp: Online
Relations
between the Men Who Pay for Sex -
Marcus Wigan: A Remote Marriage: The Theory and Practice of Being
Apart and Staying Together.

Reviews

<This volume provides excellent analyses of a wide range of mediated
relationships from some of the best researchers in the field. Anyone
interested in online relationships, sociality, or identity will want to
own this book.> (Lori Kendall, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign)

Best,

Kim

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Jennie Hwang <jmhwang at calpoly.edu> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am starting a literature review on social presence (esp. in relation to
> new communication technologies, such as cell phones, text messaging, chat
> programs, etc.). Hence, I am trying to find good academic texts that present
> the history of research on this topic, current trends, and suggestions for
> future research. Does anyone know some good texts with which I can start?
>
> Please feel free to contact me if you have any interesting suggestions.
>
> Thank you,
> jennie
>

> jennie hwang, phd
> assistant professor, communication studies
> cal poly, san luis obispo
> 805/756-2289

Kim De Vries

http://else-if-then.blogspot.com