[Air-L] the growth of some groups and not others

tom abeles tabeles at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:04:18 PST 2008

Hi Murray

You raise an interesting issue that seems not to have been fully addressed since the early 70's with Caucus and EIES as early social networks coming from the old BBS systems. With increased connectivity and a proliferation of social networking sites, the problem has only become more complex.

a) The expansion has, in many ways reduced the personal information density- more "stuff" to filter through to get to personally important information
b) more fragmentation as each "group" remains conflicted between being open and wanting to keep value from dilution. One observation, here, is that many "groups" start out with high density and hopes and then gradually fade either as the old guard fades or moves on, taking its knowledge with it which either leads to no activity or a bunch of newbies starting over but from a different place
c) small groups form and become private.

thoughts?

tom

tom abeles