[Air-L] Collaborative Information Behavior - Final Call for Chapters

Jonathan Foster j.j.foster at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 09:20:43 PST 2008

Social navigation is a form of collaborative information behaviour. It is
a term favoured by the HCI community and emphasizes, in my view, being
guided in one's searches either directly (e.g. chat, collaborative browsing) or
indirectly (e.g. trails) by others - with an emphasis on the interaction that
occurs. Not all fields emphasize the interaction aspect of collaborative
information behaviour. Other fields that explore the same phenomenon (e.g.
information science, information retrieval, CSCW) prefer to emphasise the
information handling or search and retrieval aspects of collaborative
information behaviour - or the seeking, retrieval and use of information in
support of pre-specified work tasks.

Jonathan