[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Casey O'Donnell odonnc at rpi.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:13:50 PST 2008

There has been a fair amount of talk related to this by
anthropologists. I think your article also falls into what Chris Kelty
wrote about as "Recursive Public Irony," about access to articles
about access can be quite limited:

http://savageminds.org/2005/05/24/recursive-public-irony/
http://blog.openaccessanthropology.org/?p=43

I was the editorial assistant for the journal Cultural Anthropology
and remain involved in it's web-presence, but we too struggled with
how to provide broader access to a journal which frequently contains
information that policy makers, technologists, and activists might
make use of, but typically wont pursue access if its not readily
available.

It exciting to see more efforts like yours, but I think we should
connect efforts as well:

http://savageminds.org/2007/12/19/an-open-access-case-study/
http://manao.manoa.hawaii.edu/

Best.