[Air-L] open-access is the future: no, it is not! only if it is non-corporate: the capitalist political economy of academic journals and open access

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Feb 8 13:23:19 PST 2008

Christian Fuchs wrote:
> Corporate publishing negates and hinders and alienates the freedom of
> academic knowledge.

I disagree.

One need not buy into an anti-capitalist rant (I certainly don't) to
support the freedom of academic knowledge.

I think that there are business models, available to both for-profit and
non-profit organizations (which each have their own strengths and
weaknesses), which can make open-access viable across the board for
academic publications.

And I think that this is the inevitable direction the publishing
industry will take, as evidenced by trends we are already starting to
see in this direction.

--Jibo