[Air-L] Open access

Jonathan Sterne jonathan.sterne at mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 9 06:34:44 PST 2008

Hi All,

I just want to add my voice in support of danah's.  I got radicalized about
open access when Sage and their lawyers tried to give me a DRMed author's
copy of (amusingly enough) an essay I wrote on the very promiscuous mp3
format for _New Media and Society_.  The problem was that they decided I, as
an author, actually ought to have fewer rights than I would as a reader
using my library's copy of the journal.

I'm probably a little too vain to totally give up on non-open access
journals (there are a few I'd love to have on my CV) but my plan is to go
open access whenever possible from here on out.

My Sage experience is documented here:

http://superbon.net/?p=449
http://superbon.net/?p=461

Best,