[Air-L] Methods question

Han N. Lee hnlee at comm.umass.edu
Sat Feb 16 17:07:32 PST 2008

Derek,

You may want to check out the following piece:

Hancock, J.T., & Dunham, P.J. (2001a). Impression Formation in
Computer-Mediated Communication Revisited: An Analysis of the Breadth
and Intensity of Impressions. Communication Research, 28, 325-347.

The authors compare how participants in F2F and CMC environments
perceive their partners differently. In the study, the participants
were randomly assigned to groups of pairs--F2F pairs and CMC
pairs--and they were asked to engage in task-oriented social
interaction. After the task, the participants were asked to complete
the NEO-Five Factor Inventory, a sort of adult personality test, at
separate rooms. The authors discuss how the participants' responses
differ.

Cheers,

Han