[Air-L] SPSS tool for calculating Krippendorff's Alpha; another book on content analysis

Bill Herman bherman at asc.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 29 10:14:00 PST 2008

Thanks all for the input on content analysis. I also find Krippendorff's
book and ideas quite helpful.

Most thankfully, Andrew Hayes at Ohio State has created a handy SPSS
macro for calculating Krippendorff's Alpha, complete with a
bootstrapping algorithm for estimating the confidence intervals. See:

http://www.comm.ohio-state.edu/ahayes/SPSS%20programs/kalpha.htm

If you have SPSS, my understanding is that this is the only
Krippendorff's Alpha solution you'll need. Be warned, though: run it
once without the bootstrapping calculation just to get the calculation
first, because WHOAH does it take a lot of processing power. Basically,
if you're doing the full 10,000 bootstrap, run it right before a trip to
the coffee shop, and even then, it may still be running when you come
back. (You can still email or whatever while it runs in the background.)

On a somewhat less intimidating note, I don't think anybody's mentioned
the book ANALYZING MEDIA MESSAGES, by Riffe, Lacy, and Fico, which is
pretty accessible and still a good on-ramp toward more advanced work. I
like KK's book better; if you want to understand the theory behind
calculating reliability estimates, for instance, there's no comparison.
Pick Krippendorff. Yet I'd be much more comfortable assigning the Riffe
book for an undergrad methods course, for instance.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill D. Herman
Ph.D. Candidate