[Air-L] Open-What?

Ingbert Floyd ifloyd2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:31:21 PST 2008

Quick question, well, somewhat quick. Andres Guadamuz, you say:

> Open access, whichever way you define it, has proven to be a viable
> publishing model, particularly in the "hard" sciences.

How are they funded in general, or does it vary greatly?

Two reasons I ask. One, the author pays model is much more viable in
the "hard" sciences because it is difficult if not impossible to do
most "hard" science research without grants. Therefore, the costs of
publishing can be written into the grants, and accepted as an added
cost of doing academic work. Without a grant, you (essentially) cannot
do research, and therefore have no findings, and have nothing to
publish. An exception to this would be the theoretical side of fields
such as physics (and non-science fields often considered "hard" such
as math). In social science/studies, however, not all professors are
able to get grants, yet many of them are still able to conduct
research of one sort or another. If they must pay to publish, then
there will be a serious barrier to research production (and to
obtaining tenure). An author pays model is thus much less viable as a
solution.

Second, if it is organizational funding (government, universities,
non-profits, for-profits, whatever), how easy is it to create a new
journal? Do supported journals ever get dropped? At least from my
limited experience observing others trying to obtain money in the US,
I would be loathe to rely on the government (on any level), or
non-profits, to directly support academic publishing, especially
innovation in academic publishing. Of course, indirect government
funding via libraries is becoming more and more problematic anyway, so
the point may be moot. Now, you mention that you do not foresee the
end of traditional publishing, so I acknowledge that it's not
either/or. But I'm still concerned about the sustainability of any
particular model. If I were running a journal (I'm not, and never
have), I'd rather that my own activities funded the journal, than be
reliant on the whims of a granting organization.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, given that you seem
to have evidence I've not encountered so far.

Ingbert

P.S.: I made this post public because it seems there are other people
on this list interested in the potential answers to my question. If
there's a general outcry, I'm happy to take this thread private.