[Air-L] Canadian general warns that Wikipedia postings may be aiding the Taliban

Muzammil Hussain muzammilh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:50:35 PST 2008

Sounds very much like the WW2 "loose lips sink ships" dramatization. I would
imagine that the blogsphere (due to it's 'collaborative' and 'public-access'
features) would also be high up on Brig.Gen Atkinson's list of websites. I
think the military has been very successful monitoring and censoring
soldier's contributions to their private blogs. However, I don't know how
concerned (and held responsible) the civilian public should be about
contributing to either blogs or wikis.

To better problematize the potentially dangerous use of Web content, looking
at it as an issue information-source/flow would be better. If the
government/military is concerned about sensitive information being leaked
through blogs and wikis, get to it at the source -- whether it's being taken
from soldiers' blogs, flikr sites, or if journalists on the field covering
war are giving out too much information, etc.

But, if the public is only aggregating content that is already and
rightfully public, I don't think it should be censored at all. The potential
contributions of wikis and blogs to inform and fuel discourse is vital for
today's networked public -- particularly about issues such as the 'War on
Terror'.

Muzammil Hussain
mmhussain at wisc.edu
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Wisconsin-Madison