[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Feb 8 13:22:55 PST 2008

I agree with you both. It will take new PhD's like us to bind together
to create some of these new type of publications. Google Adsense is a
great start for online publications, along with University based
publishing, and corporate/foundation funding. I think that these new
type of journals could become great fundraisers too. As far a media
consolidation, this is a worldwide result of de-regulation and laws like
the Telecom Act of 1996 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. I used
open research and publishing through blogs as part of my dissertation
with agreement from my subjects who work in the field and are not afraid
of the media. This is the future!