[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Feb 8 15:02:46 PST 2008

Lisa:

I work in the media, and if not most (meaning more than 51% of the major
academic publishers) are majority owned by the media conglomerates that
we all know well. These entitities have begun bundling to raise prices.
If you are looking for a sustainable model (which implies the long
haul), you are encountering the same dilemma that the publishers and
studios are having in the entertainment business: new technologies have
taken away many of the traditional profits and large profit margins. I
think audio and video based versions of publications that are coupled
with a print and/or book reader could become very popular based on how
well the iPod and the Kindle from Amazon is selling. Microsoft and Sony
will be beefing up the Zune, the e Reader from Sony and the watchman. I
also am certain that innovative researchers will find what I have found
in my research on gaming and simulation: people love interactive
instructional devices. I witnessed this first hand at ADL - Advanced
Distributed Learning a defense-based learning organization with Pentagon
connections. People will pay if the fun factor, ease of use and
functionality/utility are present according to the technology adoption
model (Davis, 1989).Serious gaming (Gee, 2004, 2005) is making major
inroads and publishing is becoming one them.