[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Sat Feb 9 22:17:39 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 12:58 AM, Barry Saunders wrote:

> It's also worth noting that doubleblind peer review WORKS.  It is
> one of the few mechanisms available that redresses the gender bias
> in academic writing.

Your example of how the standard editorial process WORKS is
unfortunate. I recall a case involving one of the flagship journals
in the communication field in which the reviewers rejected a paper
based on the presumed gender of the authors. In any event, the notion
that articles undergo double-blind peer review or that this matters
is naive. I have reviewed plenty of papers for editors who told me
who the paper's author was or failed to take the author's name off
the paper. In addition, blind review hardly matters given that
editors can and do send papers to particular reviewers knowing how
those reviewers will react to the paper. Care to provide another
proof that the current system WORKS?