[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Sat Feb 9 22:46:10 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:24 AM, Barry Saunders wrote:

> Considering that all you can provide to challenge academic studies
> are personal anecdotes, I don't really think I need to.

Uh, when did I challenge academic studies? I'm challenging the
current system of peer review, which naturally leads to the stifling
of different voices and the voices of folks outside of the editorial
class in academia.

Sure some of my challenges are anecdotal, but those in the editorial
class or who are disciples of scholars in that class know these
anecdotes are not isolated. Further, its hard to collect anything but
anecdotes because journals don't keep numbers on things like the
percentage of men and women who submit articles and they don't
require authors and editors to identify their academic relationships
to each other. And for good reason.

Nevertheless, I have pointed to much more than personal anecdote. The
case of gender bias I cited isn't a personal anecdote--it was a cause
celebre and the victim authors eventually wrote up a journal article
about the whole affair. In addition, the study I cited earlier, which
shows a distinct correlation between prestige of author's institution
and likelihood of positive review, was a variable analytic analysis.
I also cited the writings of Bourdieu, Mulkay, Merton, etc. which are
hardly filled with anecdote alone.

C'mon, Aren't my detractors on this list capable of attacking
anything more than a straw man bastardization of my arguments?