[Air-L] Social Networking Sites Geography Visualization

Michael Farrugia mikelupu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 08:23:49 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm a research student studying Information Visualization and Social Networks at UCD in Dublin. I have recently collected some data about the popularity of social networking sites in different countries, and presented the data in a graphical format. The data identifies the most popular social networking site in each of the 116 countries for which the data was available. It also contains the ranking of the SN site in the context of all other sites accessed in that country.

You can view and interact with the visualizations at this website: http://csserver.ucd.ie/~mfarrugia

The aim of creating these visualizations is to generate discussion and allow people to share insights and ask questions on the popularity of social networking sites and their use in different countries. The data extracted is also freely available in the many eyes website and new visualizations of this dataset can be created in the same site. By tracking the comments and discussions around the different visualizations I'm trying to identify the most popular visualization by the number of comments it receives.

Regards,

Michael Farrugia
School of Computer Science & Informatics
University College Dublin, Ireland