[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Thu Feb 7 18:44:01 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Heidelberg, Chris wrote:
> There are many great research projects that are not seeing the
> light of day because of the media monolopoly and it is time for the
> dispossed to create their own online journals.

Publishers have no reason to squelch great research. Their only
interest is in increasing their revenue, which would actually be
improved if the journals they published had a wider representation of
thought. But they're hamstrung by the  dynamics of academia I
mentioned earlier. This is clear, because they're more than happy to
create new journals that represent new theoretical or methodological
viewpoints when the readership for those viewpoints becomes big
enough to sustain a journal.

> I have worked in the media for 20 years and I arrived at that
> conclusion long ago, and so must academic otherwise it is engaging
> in self-censorship rather than spreading knowledge which we are all
> required to do.

Academia is not a sentient being that can perform intentional
actions. But individual academics are such beings and can perform
such actions. Further, whether consciously or not they follow what
they perceive are their self-interests, which logically lead to the
current situation, as I indicated before. The only way to change the
situation is to change academics' self-interests and their perception
of how those self-interests must or can be fulfilled. Anyone got any
ideas?

Christian Nelson