[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Katri Lietsala katri.lietsala at uta.fi
Fri Feb 8 00:18:08 PST 2008

Hello

I guess these links are also worthwhile to look:

- Directory of Open Access Journals has already 3 142 journals in the
directory and you can search over 1 000 journals at article level.
- Study on the Economic and Technical Evolution of the Scientific
Publication Markets of Europe'. 2006,
http://ec.europa.eu/research/science-society/pdf/scientific-publication-study_en.pdf

For example, just with a word media i was able to find 51 journals to
match the query. The directory guides that journals must exercise
peer-review or editorial quality control to be included. There is also a
petition going on in EU about the open (or at least a bit more open)
access. Petition for guaranteed public access to publicly-funded
research results, http://www.ec-petition.eu/index.php?p=index.

Katri Lietsala
Hypermedia Lab, University of Tampere

Alex Halavais wrote:
> I've replied to danah's blog post both on her blog and a little on my
> own blog here:
>
> http://alex.halavais.net/boycotting-closed-journals/
>
> But I wanted to ask a more basic question: what are the open access
> journals in our field (interfield? transfield? outfield?) with the
> best reputations?
>
> I'll throw JCMC out there, and I hope that their move to the Synergy
> site doesn't augur a future change in access. I enjoy reading
> FirstMonday, but I'm pretty sure it isn't "serious" enough for many
> traditionalists or tenure committees.
>
> So, if we are to take danah's advice, and send our research to OA
> journals, what are the top five or top ten open access journals. If
> you don't want to reply to the list, feel free to send me a note
> privately--if there is a list of 10 (and I am pretty sure I couldn't
> name ten open access journals in our very broad intersection of
> fields), maybe I can turn it around as a mini-survey to get some feel
> of how they may be ranked in terms of reputation.
>
> - Alex
>
> --
> //
> // This email is
> // [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
> // [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
> //
> // Alexander C. Halavais
> // Part-Time Troglodyte
> // http://alex.halavais.net
> //

*Katri Lietsala*
Digital Media Adviser

+358 3 3551 8510
+358 40 749 9072
	katri.lietsala at uta.fi <mailto:katri.lietsala at uta.fi>
*http://www.uta.fi/hyper
*
* *
	*The Hypermedia Laboratory at the University of Tampere*