[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 9 07:32:55 PST 2008

This one has prompted me to respond! ... This is such an odd view of "powerful
academics". It is precisely the "powerful academics", aka tenured and/or full
Professors, who can afford to go to these new venues. Moreover, if work is not
getting full play in journals -- because of the invisibility and inaccessibilty of
print journals or fee-based online journals -- then why wouldn't we all flock to
online publishing to gain the 'power' of widespread access.

So, why don't we? -- because, believe it or not, many of us actually have put
time and energy into journals -- setting them up, reviewing papers, considering
the standards of good research, argumentation and knowledge, and wanting to
make it worth someone taking the time to open up a journal, and for those
outside our discipline to take us seriously as a discipline. Yes, it is a gatekeeper
role, and I'm proud to be part of it as should be all others who strive for quality
in their work and *their* journals.

/Caroline