[Air-L] Questions, questions...

Brian Loader bl506 at york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 04:27:45 PST 2008

Now about these colloqiums, panels and roundtables...

FAQs
1. Can I send my proposal to that nice Program Chair chap and hope that he
puts it on the system?
Answer: No you must submit it yourself but if you have any problems or made
a mistake please contact that very nice
Charlie Breindahl person who (unlike the Program Chair who just talks about
ICTs)is a wizard with the site - charlie.breindahl at gmail.com

2.If some colleagues and I are part of a panel proposal, can we also be part
of a roundtable proposal?
Answer: Yes probably. The rules are:

one paper + one panel = fine
One paper + one roundtable = fine
one paper + two panels = fine (but any element may be rejected)
One paper + one panel + one round table = fine (but any element may be
rejected)
more than one paper / unless there are _really_ compelling reasons
second author is o.k.) / not so fine.
You can be second author of anything over and above what you submit above.

Obviously we are looking to provide high quality sessions with the widest
possible contributions.

3. "Graduate students wishing to be a candidate for the Student Award must
send a final paper by June 30, 2008". Does it mean that they do not have to
submit abstract first and get accepted before submitting the full paper?
Answer: Proposal/abstract should be submitted in the usual way. Full papers
for Student Award by June 30, 2008.

4.Can you tell me how long panels and roundtables are scheduled to last and
how many people are supposed to participate in each type of session?
Answer: The sessions will be one and a half hours long. There is no fixed
numbers but my experience is that together with a Chair/Moderator you should
consider four to six participants. BUT please think about the needs of the
audience who will want to participate in the discussions. I'm sure someone
on the list (Barry Wellman?) can provide us with a social scientific law
which demonstrates that academics will always talk for twice the allotted
time given to them. Therefore leave plenty of time for interaction and
debate.

5.i'm just writing up a panel proposal for the conference and am not sure of
the word count. the call for papers suggests 600-800 words for information
about the panel (not including paper abstracts). i'm wondering if this
should include the information about presenters too?
Answer: The poposal should list panel members. Very brief biogs with
accompanying abstracts please.

6. Any information on the Doctoral Colloquium yet?
Answer: We are delighted to announce that Professor Klaus Bruhn Jensen will
be facilitating the Doctoral Colloqium on Wednesday 15 October. More details
to follow on the list and website soon.

OK that's it for now but please ask more questions if you are still unsure
of anything.

Brian

Brian D. Loader
Co-Director,
Social Informatics Research Unit (SIRU),
Department of Sociology,
Wentworth College,
University of York,
Heslington,