[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu Feb 7 16:33:33 PST 2008

I tried to respond to this earlier, but the moderator deemed it too long
(talk about open-access LOL). I work in the media world, and the media
world controls publishing and it is less than 20 companies that call all
of the shots. The tenured professors are not giving up their cozy
relationship with the publishers who are the real flesh peddlers here.
No one beats the house at its own game unless new rules come into play.
Google, Apple, Amazon and Microsoft have demonstrated that one can
utilize the free model for publishing purposes, but we will have to
re-define academic publishing. First, the feds require that we create
published products in audio, video, print and web that are accessible
and 508 compliant by all people. Second colleges should set up their own
digital publishing outfits that are run by faculty, students and pros in
the business. Printed books are great but becoming unaffordable for
many,and the digital alternative that is ad-based may be ready for prime
time. There are many great research projects that are not seeing the
light of day because of the media monolopoly and it is time for the
dispossed to create their own online journals. I have worked in the
media for 20 years and I arrived at that conclusion long ago, and so
must academic otherwise it is engaging in self-censorship rather than
spreading knowledge which we are all required to do.