[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Fri Feb 8 19:11:32 PST 2008

I disagree with your claim that no one gives up power willingly.  I
think that people do this all the time.  Not all power in all contexts
is taken through acts of violence.  Theoretical debate aside, let's
try an example close to our field.

The International Journal of Communications (IJOC) was launched last
fall.  This journal is open-access, online-only.  It uses open journal
systems for structure and is archived in a wide variety of ways to
meet the needs of librarians and scholars.  The bandwidth and
publishing costs are paid for by USC's Annenberg School.  All the
editors, reviewers, and authors are unpaid. The heads editors are
senior scholars who, from my POV, are pretty big names: Manuel
Castells and Larry Gross.  The associate editors, book review editors,
and advisory editors contain a pretty impressive list of senior
scholars that I deeply respect (but your mileage may differ)
including: Howard Becker, Yochai Benkler, Henry Jenkins, Steve Jones,
and many more.  (I bet a bunch of them are on this list...)   I don't
know if they left previous journals to do this one, but all of those
people are painfully stretched thin which means that they're doing
this because they believe in it.

This journal is brand new, having only two issues to date.  It's easy
to be cynical and point out that most new journals crumble, but I
think that this one has legs.  It's got big-name people with huge
networks (necessary for conning people to review), a major sponsor,
and a sustainable infrastructure.  They are staunchly committed to
open-access and I can't imagine them changing their tune, especially
given the intersection between their editors' work and politics.
Since they are "published" by USC, they aren't at risk of being sold
(unless UCLA executes a hostile take-over).

Why is this destined to fail?  Why shouldn't we be pushing to make
this the top comm journal by submitting our best work there?

The only way that I can imagine that this project would fail would be
if people fail to submit quality work.  Their success depends on the
quality of what they publish.  That is in our control.  Don't we have
a responsibility to embrace this endeavor and do everything in our
power to help this amazing collection of senior scholars change the
future of scholarship?

danah

PS.  I know that this example is not perfect... It's English-only,
comm-centric, requires network connectivity for access, etc. etc.  But
it's much better than the current model.